The Lufthansa Innovation Hub (LIH) – named „Germany’s Best Digital Lab“ – is the digital transformation spearhead of the world’s largest aviation corporation Lufthansa Group based in Berlin, Singapore and Shanghai.
The LIH discovers, evaluates and implements new technologies in the context of Travel & Mobility Tech with and for industry-leading airlines such as Lufthansa, Eurowings, SWISS and Austrian Airlines, the frequent flyer program Miles & More as well as other renowned Lufthansa Group entities.
Our growing team of tech, design, market intelligence, venture capital and digital transformation experts engages in ongoing trend and market research, holistically incubates digital ventures, fosters strategic partnerships with existing players as well as invests strategically across the travel and mobility chain.
Creating and capturing value for Lufthansa Group beyond its core business of flying, the unit works closely with aviation experts of Lufthansa Group as well as field-proven talent from the Travel & Mobility Tech ecosystem on a global scale.
As Director Research & Intelligence (m/f/d) you are driving, expanding and overseeing our Market Intelligence activities at LIH.
In this role, you will be responsible to drive data-driven market intelligence and strategic insights to various LIH ventures, internal stakeholders as well as spread our LIH’s Thought Leadership in the form of unconventional reports and insights to the wider travel and mobility tech ecosystem. You will as well liaise with the new business team to identify new start-ups and monitor VC funding activities in the broader travel and mobility tech sector.
Lastly, you will lead, coach and mentor a team of research analysts on critical thinking, analytical argumentation building, and act as a market-sounding sparring partner to the Managing Director.
The position reports to the Managing Director of the Lufthansa Innovation Hub.
- Drive the process to identify and collect appropriate customer, competitor, market, financial and/or operational data to pull strategic insights from
- Perform thorough, systematic analysis of financial, statistical, and qualitative data analysis of markets and competitors to draw key industry trends as well as key venture and partnership opportunities for the LIH
- Help translate data into executable and effective market and intelligence reports that inform LIH’s ventures and LHG stakeholders to make effective strategic and tactical decision-making and implementation
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of data sources, evaluating their credibility and potential utility, and leverages them across the company where appropriate
- Scout upcoming startups and systematically derive opportunities for new business projects (partnerships, incubation)
Lead team and business stream
- Manage and coordinate a portfolio of research projects for both Berlin and Asia office with strong awareness of business priorities and commercial impact
- Define and drive efficient research and analyses processes and guidelines
- Liaise with the Communication Team to position LIH in the ecosystem as thought leaders with unconventional content pieces (reports, insights, infographics, newsletters, event participation)
- Communicate with senior stakeholders and partners, demonstrates the ability to engage your audience effectively
- Train, coach and lead a team of research analysts across Berlin and Asia
- Drive and shape analytical thinking and critical argumentation building at LIH and lead sharing sessions
- Drive expansion and maintenance of knowledge assets e.g. tools, databases, marketing materials
- Exceptional degree in Business Administration, Economics, STEMs (or equivalent) is a must, MBA a bonus
- 5+ years of consulting experience preferred or alternatively industry experience in market research
- Distinct travel and mobility affinity
- Demonstrated strength in problem solving and analytics and capable of driving insight to action
- High attention to research quality standards
- Hands-on from data sourcing, data set cleaning to visualization
- Distinct sense for reusing research in different channels & stories
- Strong expertise across quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Ability to work with large dataset and summarize findings in a clear and concise way
- Ability to articulate with strong presentation skills and to contribute to executive-level discourse; excellent written communication abilities
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadline constraints & able to coach and develop team members
- Fluent in English and German
What we offer:
- Be an essential member of a smart, hard-working and growing team developing solutions for the traveler of tomorrow together with one of the most iconic brands in aviation
- Gain deep insights into the corporate world as well as the international Travel & Mobility Tech ecosystem
- Work independently and entrepreneurial holistically owning budgets, workstreams and operational decision making
- Utilize seasoned Lufthanseats and experienced tech talent
- Experience a truly unique setting in the heart of the Berlin tech ecosystem
- Competitive compensation with benefits
At LIH, we are super committed to fostering an environment that promotes diversity and inclusivity. We do not discriminate in employment on the basis of factors irrelevant to merit, qualifications or business need such as age, race, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, medical status, or any other status covered by the relevant law in the areas where we operate.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We’d love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.